Monday, January 18, 2010

Exploring Music Helps Kids Learn

There is no greater joy for me as a music educator than to see one of my students really "click" with an activity. Whether it be singing, playing with rhythm sticks, "acting out" music, or any of our other creative musical games, what I see in the eyes of my students in those moments is hopefully the beginning of a lifelong love of music. And we know from studies and field research that the enjoyment of music is only the beginning of the benefits!

Children who are exposed early to music will gain in reasoning, math, and literacy. Through music from other cultures, they will gain more understanding of the world in which they live. They'll gain confidence and an ability to express themselves, in addition to learning to work within a group. Put simply, music opens doors and creates limitless opportunities.

Plus, it's fun and a great way to spend quality time with your kids. It's a privilege for me to participate in that process in the lives of young people, and an additional privilege for me to be a part of the great mission of the Children's Museum in Easton. "helping children
and families become lifelong learners". I hope to meet many of you in the weeks to come.

~Museum Educator, Kerry Campbell

Become a fan of Kerry's "Exploring Music" Facebook Fan Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment